Thursday, February 23, 2012

Jan. 2012, Birding, Toad's, Lobster BBQ, Singalong...


One night we went down to William's Town to the $2 Bar and Toads on the Bay with a bunch of other
boaters.  We had a beer at the $2 Bar and then off to Toads on the Bay for ribs.



The beginning of the sunset at William's Town.


Birders gathering at Junkanoo's in preparation for the Christmas Bird Count on Grand Bahama Island.


The barrels under the bar at Junkanoo Bar and Grill.


My feet.


There were 5 groups of 7 or so people for the Christmas Bird Count on Grand Bahama Island.  This is my group and we're birding at one of the golf courses at a water hazard.


A whole bunch of Coots.


Does this cruise ship look too close?  It is toooooo close.  Some Captain grounded it on the reef off of Port Lucaya.  They did a lot of damage to the reef.


We went birding in the Pine Forest too.


Heading out to the Pine Forest to find birds...notice the doors are open.


In the pine forest, looking for warblers.


Water hazzards in golf courses are great places to bird watch, lots of Couts, Moorehens, Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, etc.


Sculptures in the golf course.  I can't remember the name of this golf course.  I know it was closed.



Can we count the turtles we saw?



After the birding was over we went to Garden of the Groves to share stories and eat.  What a great day.


Val and I at Island Seas Beach.


We met a little fellow at Island Seas Beach who really wanted to go for a ride in our kayak.


Ray and Val at Unexco.


Junkanoo costumes at Beacon School.  Val and I helped past the crepe paper on some of the costumes.







The students at Beacon School practicing for Junior Junkanoo.



Marion and me.


Diane, Marion and me...having coffee time at Unexco.



Glen at Wednesday night sing a long.


Wednesday night Sing a long.







Anthony enjoying Gold Rock Beach, with his book.


Val and Ray at Gold Rock.




John Plant and I swam out to this rock last year and snorkeled on the reef there.


The boys at the lobster BBQ.


Hank and Glen caught and BBQed enough lobster for over 50  people, it was awesome.






The cats stayed very close for little tidbits of lobster.



All the boaters brought food too and we had a Lobster Potluck.



Now what do you think I'm doing?


I'm working on my computer during the day.  The internet service is sketchy on my boat so if I bring my computer out to the freezer on the dock by Tom's boat, I can get internet, but the sun is so bright I have to use a towel over my head and the computer so that I can see the screen.


The male seahorse on the bottom of Tom's boat.



Steve and Miranda and friends and Anthony at Rum Runners.



Students from Beacon School at Junior Junkanoo.



Other Schools at Junkanoo.
























Went to church on Sunday.



Visited with Paul.  He came to visit for a weekend with his Mom.


The beach in front of where Paul, Miranda, Steve and friends stayed.









Having a beer at the $2 bar with other sailors.




What a beautiful sunset out in front of Toad's on the Bay.

No comments: