Monday, January 31, 2011

From snow to sand.....welcome back to the Bahamas

Toronto in January under a blanket of snow.

The sun above the clouds. I love being in the window seat on the plane. It's just beautiful and mystifying.



Grand Bahama here I come. This is a ocean liner in the harbour at Grand Bahama Island.


Grand Bahama is one big sand bar. It wasn't inhabited much until the 1960's when it was set up as a Free Port.



Hank coming to pick Bohdan and I up to go Lobster spearing/fishing. We were waiting on the floating dock where Les has his fishing boat.


Here we are heading down the canal out to the ocean. We're heading for the Blue Hole. Hank says there are usually lots of lobster there.

Hank, our lobster fisherman.

The sun coming up over the edge of the canal. It was a bit rough but not too rough to go out in the dinghy.

Hank speared 8 lobster and we had a wonderful lobster supper that night.


I went in thinking I might try my spear but I ended up just snorkeling and watching Hank look for lobster. We went down to the bottom and held onto coral heads at the bottom and hung upside down and peeked under the heads to see if there were lobster there. Hank found them but I didn't feel confident enough to take the spear down with me. I just practiced hanging upside down and looking for the lobsters. I have my shortie on and it was still a bit cool in the water. It was OK once I got used to it...that's a Canadian phrase. That's what we say about the water in Lake Ontario...meaning...it's cold water.








No comments: