Saturday, December 26, 2009

St. Augustine to Vero Beach

I'm home in Toronto. This is daughter Sarah, on the far left, daughter-in-law Lou, son-in-law Rich and daughter Kate at Kate and Rich's house in Longbranch. It's great to be home. It took us 2 months to get to the Bahamas and 3 hours to get back home. Isn't that wild???


We're about 48 days into our trip on our way to Vero Beach in my Sailingblog. There were swing bridges, lift bridges and fixed bridges. One day we went through 21 bridges but that was the most.

The Bridge Master is up in that little room with the windows. I always said thanks for opening the bridge and have a good day and tried to see what the bridge master looked like...sometimes it was a woman and sometimes a man.

This s a very big yacht being built in a very big boat house.


This is our chartfinder and we are the black triangle just under the glare on the Intracoastal water way. The ocean is the big piece of blue on the left of the monitor and we're motoring in the blue strip of water in the middle of the monitor.

The rivers and other waterways are pretty narrow as you can see here.

Spanish moss on the trees and someone's little house or cottage.

See the bird in that tree? It's an Osprey. There were lots of Ospreys along the way.

And then you have these....timeshares? condos? resorts?

Here they are digging out those canals that look like streets of water and then they put a house on the canal and sell all the homes as having water frontage. They can have their sail boat right in their front yard. It's actually an awesome idea.

What a pretty little bridge. The scenery along the way was absolutely beautiful.

This might be the City of .... I can't remember, I think it is Daytona Beach and we're on the ocean here.

Look at the beautiful tiled pictures on the pillars of the fixed bridge. The pictures were of dolphins, whales and manatees.

Here I am listening to my tunes, steering the boat and drinking Special Coffee. My binoculars are close at hand in case I see a bird that I might need to identify and my journal is at hand in case I need to write something in it along the way.

And here's Captain Anthony at the helm. Places we motored by were Daytona Beach, Indian River, Tolomato River. Birds I saw were: Golden Eagles, Kingfishers, Ospreys, Great Blue Herons and Ibis'. Heard on the Cruisers Check-in today on the Single Side Band that Polar Pacer was in the St. John River. Mom, I was thinking a lot of you today...put baby powder on the bed before I made it and opened all the ports and hatch to air out the aft cabin. Sometimes the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Proud to be Canadian.

Doesn't this look like a spaceship coming up behind us?

Wow, somebody has money or had money!!!!

What a beautiful sunset at Vero Beach. We stayed there two nights. Anthony's back was bothering him so I went grocery shopping alone in the kayak. It worked great. Still haven't used the dinghy, only the kayak. Met lots of neat people in Vero Beach all of us watching the weather for THE WEATHER WINDOW to cross.



















No comments: