Sunday, February 17, 2013

Brailling in the Bahamas - Cooking with Santy - January 2013


The Bahamian teacher for Brailling in the Bahamas is Carolyn Wipf and she has offered her hallway in her home for all the Braille books and materials that I sent down from Canada before I game.  Maureen Harnett donated around 12 boxes of Braille materials, books on tape, 4 sided/variable speed taperecorders, white canes, High school texts in Braille, Novels in Braille.  I sent materials from Appleby College, a Braille Anatomy Book, a Braille Atlas, Braille Math texts, Braille novels, 2 Braille Bibles from the American Braille Bible Association, white canes from Kingston CNIB, talking watches that Janet picked up and brought down, magnifiers, slate and stylus', Braille rulers, Braille protractors, puff paint, glue gun and glue, abacus.  Carolyn donated a Language Master, a talking Dictionary, to Edmond at Beacon School.  Ummmm...ummm that's most of it.  I'll probably remember more as we go on looking at the pics.


Glen is sighted and helping us with the Brailling and reading Braille.


This is the brand new Perkins Brailler donated by Amherst Island Women's Institute, Presbyterian Church Women's Association, David Pickering and Janet Scott.  I purchase from Micro-Science Computers in Toronto for $1000.00.  Thank you so much for your generous donations and Carolyn Wipf is enjoying this new Brailler and works very hard Brailling her favourite scriptures of the Bible on it.


I finished the third book of a Nora Robert's "The Dream Trilogy".  Janet leant it to me and it was a good series.  I enjoyed it.


Jamie and Rosie playing BINGO with us.  BINGO is every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoon at 2:30 at Ester's right by our boat.  It's free and you can win Gold Rum.  Great deal.



We're out for a dinghy ride in the canal.  The ocean is just out beyond the trees on the horizon, out the opening there.



This looks like a fixer upper.  The rest of the boat is under the water...oh, oh.


I love these little patios along the water.  I could live in them.


Ooops the motor stopped working so guess who gets to row us home.


Anthony at Toads on the Bay enjoying a good book and a Sands, beer.


I'm reading Dean Koontz now.  It's very good but I don't make much time for reading here.


The view of the ocean from Toad's.


Out for another dinghy ride.


Someone taking their dogs for a boat ride.


The salon on the boat.  Looks like I'm hemming the dress that Doris (Funma) gave me.  Actually she gave me the material when she was visiting me last summer and my Mom made the dress.


The table that never gets eaten but catches everything.


The Galley.

The other part of the Galley.  Yes, I have a working oven but I don't use it much.  I did make bread the other day with Rosie's help.


Val and I at Barbary Beach.




At Santy's...Janet is here.  On the first day in the Bahamas I volunteered her to help chop, etc. for Santy.  He was making food for the restaurant, "Tony Macarony".  This is Cilantro Chutney.


This is the sign for Toad's on the Bay.  It's not on the outside of the place but on the floor on the inside.


Janet and Santy cooking in the kitchen at Santy's condo.


Anthony helping Santy cook by going on the computer in his living room and staying out of the kitchen.


Me making the Cilantro Chutney with Santy's instructions.


Curried Conch.


Indian Rice.


African Venison Jerky.  All of the food was amazingly delicious.  He fed around 60 people at Tony Macaroni's.  He also made Curried Fish.  I'm hoping sometime he gets his VISA to come to Canada and is Celebrity Chef for a Friday Night.  That would be sooooo good.

No comments: